7.4.11

Easter is coming to town!!!!



GoodMorning people of this world!!!!!!
I have been disapeared for a while but there was a good reason to.....
I was preparing Easter Candles!!!!!
Here in Greece the Easter Candles or Lambades as they are called in Greek, are part of our tradition. In Greece every child has godparents, and the Easter Candle is one of the customary Easter gifts that godparents give to their godchildren (along with a chocolate Easter egg and sometimes shoes). These candles are decorated with various ornaments in relation to whether it will be given to a boy or girl and their age!!! On the day of Holly Saturday we take these candles to the church to the midnight service in which all the lights within the church are extinguished, until the priest comes out at midnight to announce to the world that Christ has risen. Then from the single flame of the priest candle, we all light our candles with the holly flame (as we call it) and we transfer it with our candles to our houses.


Although the Easter Candles with decorations are supposed to be given only to young children, and the rest to take to the church just a white candle, today it is usual for grown ups to hold a decorated candle but a little thinner than the ones tha the children have!!!!



When I was young my godmother lived in Thesaloniki, a city far away from Athens, and she never gave me an Easter Candle (or the other gifts that godparents send to their godchildren).... This was alays my huge complaint of her...but my mother always took care of the issue...as she didn't want me to feel bad she made a tradition of our own.... we went out and we chose ornaments and ribbons and we decorated on our own our Easter Candles!!!! Maybe this is the reason that I love so much each year making them!!!





Each and every candle of them has its own story, and it is made with all my love!!!
So what do you think of this Greek custom?



and what do you think of the Easter Candles that I made for you this year ???

Kisses 
Wishes
mdq 

1 comment:

  1. can I have more than one of these EXTRAordinary Lampades?!?

    ReplyDelete